This week was mostly a wash. I spent some time modeling, but I was busy with a bunch of stuff and then got sick, so virtually no coding happened until this morning. Luckily, with that much time away, I had time to think through some problems I was facing, so this morning's coding work went much more quickly than normal. The end result is that I have a first-draft minimap added to the game! The way it's currently being done, it'll always display the whole map the bottom left corner.
See, it's a minimap! I've also added an extra room to the default map to be sure the minimap was working the way I wanted it to. Pretty cheesy stuff, but as I've said before, it's all about the little bits of effort accumulating over time.
And just for fun, here's Desmond, round 2. As you can see, he's grown legs and a tail, but no wings yet. I'm still very unhappy with his face, and I'll probably tweak that some more (especially the nostrils) before I get too much further, but I still think he's starting to look a whole lot better than he was before.
Next up... More work on Desmond, probably. And then I'm going to make the minimap live inside some sort of container in the lower-right corner of the screen, so it won't take up so much of the screen. Then I think it might be time to start really working on the actual game part of this game.
Oh, and sometime soon Tom Fowler is going to start on the artwork. I'm honestly not ready for it yet, so chances are the art will just sit around for a few weeks looking awesome with me feeling guilty about not touching it. But I'm still looking forward to seeing it, because hey, this is Tom Fowler we're talking about here.